HMRC tax investigations and tax enquiries are becoming increasingly common and can have a significant financial cost if handled incorrectly.
Expert technical knowledge, careful negotiation and advice can often make a substantial difference to the eventual tax liability, penalty and charges.
Our HMRC/Revenue Commissioners Tax investigation service offers advice on
- Income tax investigations, including:-
- Section 9A TMA 1970, Code of Practice 8, Code of Practice 9 and Code of Practice 11 – Self Assessment
- Corporate tax investigations
- VAT and PAYE inspections
- Voluntary tax disclosure
- Employer Benefit Trusts (EBTs)
- Undeclared rental income / HMRC Let Property campaign
- Advice on offshore tax disclosures schemes, including:- Tax Investigations – What to Expect
Tax Investigations – What to Expect
This will depend on the type of tax investigation that has been opened. If you have been issued with a Code of Practice 9 (COP9) notice, HMRC suspects serious tax fraud. These types of investigations are intrusive and time consuming, often spanning over several years. Code of Practice 8 (COP8) investigations are opened when HMRC suspect a deliberate attempt to pay less than or the use of a tax avoidance scheme such as EBT/PBT structures. HMRC will normally invite you to a meeting to discuss the issues.
Corr & Corr Investigation Team Can Help
- Over 20 years of combined experience dealing with Inland Revenue tax investigations
- We Manage the full process on your behalf or advise you on the best strategy to approach
- Minimise potential penalties and interest
- Negotiate affordable repayment terms
- Cost effective, fixed and capped fee arrangements